093

093

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

poem Number 29


Number 29

Option One: Abduction

Television shows like South Park and rock bands like Blink-182 and The Killers have all taken on the subject of abduction with great success. Imagine being abducted – it doesn’t have to be by aliens. You could be abducted by spiders, or cardinals, or friends from high school. How do you react? What happens? How are you changed when you return?

Option Two: Other Worlds

When we think of aliens, we often think of other planets, other worlds that have evolved far away from ours and usually with advances in technology that we do not yet have. For this poem, imagine living in a world that is either utterly advanced in technology or one that has no technology at all. How does either of these scenarios impact relationships? Education? Culture? Start with an imaginative spark and see where it takes you.

It seems like forever since I saw the lights
saw the earth from space
was placed in this acrylic tube that
looks out onto your acrylic tube
I swear I saw you blink
heard you think at me
I swear I've never seen anything more beautiful
those wonderful butterfly wings
I'm sure that you view me a hideous
admiring only my thumbs
sometimes I get lost in our collective dreams
the swirling of light and color
the odd harmonics of philosophies bouncing off one another
I dream
I dream only of you
since they day I was collected
cataloged and mounted
the lobster children point and stare
at the ugliness of the earth-man
and all I care about is you
species 1813547-E
with your translucent skin
luminescent eyes
and beautiful wings
you are a picture in a magazine
a painting by Julie Bell
we will only meet in dreams

captives in time

No comments:

Post a Comment