093

093

Sunday, February 3, 2013

desert - leather boot - here comes the rain again

desert - leather boot - here comes the rain again

Swearing by the left hand of justice
you shot the man
who shot the woman
who held the water
who shared your bed
out here where it's an eye for eye
two wrongs is all you're gonna get

I ain't inhuman
I cried when I buried the body
I spoke the words from that
weather beaten book of prayer
carved a marker for her head

dust
makes it hard to track
you can always find the devil
only choice is whether to shake his hand
or spit him in the eye
I ain't lookin' for allies or excuses

I will wipe his blood from my leather boot
i want to know
why he left her for the vultures
left her to decay in the desert sun?
did he enjoy the stale bread
the raisins
the two ounces of back wash left in our canteen?

I will offer no words
as his body falls
i will place a heel to his throat
pour holy water on his dying lips
and whisper
"here comes the rain again"


© David Hargarten 2013


No comments:

Post a Comment