093

093

Friday, February 6, 2015

Guilty Pleasures Month Day 7: the hair band exception

    

 I hate hair bands.  there are bright spots but Dokken, Cinderella, Great White and Poison are not among them.  Sure we are all willing to admit that Quiet Riot's stolen hit "Cum on Feel the Noize"is a hoot (originally recorded by Slade) and that Twisted Sister's "We're not gonna take it" are wonderful cartoonish goodness, but most of these bands took themselves too seriously and expected their audiences to treat them like serious artists.  Most didn't have the talent to back it up.
     Rock and Roll was founded on larger than life personas.  Little Richard, David Bowie, and Cyndi Lauper all spring to mind, but all of them had the chops to back up the wackiness.  The majority of hair bands were just hair and no talent.  If I'm insulting your personal taste in music, I DON'T CARE!!!!
this is my confessional not yours.

Here are the hair band songs that have made my guilty pleasure list, please try not to gag too hard.

It all started innocently enough, they were barely hair bands at all.






and then it escalated




we didn't know what we had gotten into. They began to preen and pout, they began to take glam and make it even more ridiculous and not in that good way.

I admit that I like all these songs, and I apologize.

No comments:

Post a Comment