093

093

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Guilty Pleasures Month:Day 25-Rock and Roll Girls


    I was originally going to entitle this blog "Chick Rock", but I think John Fogerty put it best when he coined the phrase Rock and Roll girls.
    I have always had a soft spot for female vocalists, and I take a lot of shit for liking Carole King, Mama Cass, and Grace Slick, all of whom you will not see videos from today.
     My weakness for woman who sing is not all inclusive.  I am not fond of the Motown girl groups, although I do love Ronnie Spector.  I don't like your poppy, overly marketed, simpering teens, and that includes everyone from Lesley Gore to Britney Spears.  I'm not a fan of the Spice Girls and their brand of Girl Power.
     Rock and Roll has long turned its back on the female of the species.  I have often heard the quote "the only reason to have a tambourine in a band is to hire a hot chick to play it."
     I am a firm believer that Rock music would not have progressed past ritual dance music if it hadn't been for the influence of Marianne Faithful, Janis Joplin, and Joan Baez.  At some point we grew beyond whiny break up songs and roller skate metaphors.  The songs became more complex and about real issues.
    I'm not talking Divas here, I'm talking artists and singers who held for dear life on to as much integrity as they were allowed, sometimes it wasn't much, but they made there point.




















This one my disturb a few people.  Yes, the following is an Avril Lavigne video.  I like Avril.  Initially, her producers wanted to make her into the new Celine Dion.  Avril told them to fuck off.  The songs on her first album are based on her own personal teen angst, and (unlike most of the breed of new pop singers) she doesn't use pitch correction software.


This brings us to the end of the list and closer to the end of the month.  I've resorted to categories because individual songs/artist would make guilty pleasures year and that would be exhausting so I will leave you with this...


and I'll see you tomorrow for something really terrible.

No comments:

Post a Comment