093

093

Friday, November 18, 2016

In a Dive Bar With Captain America

In a Dive Bar With Captain America

He sipped his Coca Cola
Smiled weakly
Scratched his head

I failed (he whispered)
I’m supposed to be
Bigger
Better
Than this
I’m supposed to stand for
The tired and poor
For the homeless and huddled masses
I’m supposed to be the New Colossus
The guardian of the golden door
Of life
liberty and
the pursuit of happiness

Behind his tired eyes
You can see a kid from Brooklyn
Bullied
Beaten

I’ve seen the faces
Lost
Like they’ve always been
I’ve seen the bodies
Of fascist regimes
But I’ve always
believed/hoped/known
We (America)
Stood for
. . . something

The good old days
Weren’t always good
But they don’t show that on
Television
And no one
Remembers
              ( . . .I do)

His fist clenches as he watches
Some random news coverage
Some death toll
Some protest turned violent
Some stop and frisk gunshot video
Some American on American crime scene
He coughs
Choking on the irony of

ONE NATION UNDER GOD

No comments:

Post a Comment