093

093

Friday, February 27, 2015

Guilty Pleasures Month Day 27-Keeping the Faith

I had originally intended to do todays Blog on the the songs and career of Neil Diamond, but, I had a Metanoia (look it up).  on the way home from Physical Therapy I got to hear some Billy Joel on the radio.  It was sort of a sing a long moment and brought me back to the days of waiting for my vinyl copy of "52nd Street" to arrive from the Columbia House Record Club.
     Like all artists Billy Joel has had many phases to his career. But in the late 70's and early 80's during the rise of punk and the birth of New Wave, Billy Joel showed us that there is no one tougher than a kid from New York.




In the age when songs were getting more commercial, when folks were more interested in whether or not Disco lived or died, Billy Joel took his place as one of the last real singer/songwriters.


Some of his best songs were on early records and widely unheard by major audiences

some of them were just a little too off beat, but I love them anyway




Making his career on beautiful romantic ballads.



but as time rolled on, Billy Joel starting recording songs for himself, charting only a few times with songs far different from his earlier style.


but renewed superstar status was found when her revisited the music that inspired him in the first place


With renewed vigor and scoffs from musical snobs, Billy Joel redeemed himself and gave us more than his share of wonderful songs.



and I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a fan

No comments:

Post a Comment